Thursday, 20 October 2011

My Reading Response

Have you ever wondered how sad would it be for a 10 year old boy to lose his family? Don't you think it would be sad to lose your family? If you said no then you're wrong. I'm reading a book called "A long walk to water" by: Linda Sue Park. Ä long walk to water is about a 8 year old boy named Salva who loses his family and he's lost in Africa. Salva is a friendly kid, he feels sympathy for people who can't afford money to buy food in poor countries. I feel bad for Salva because he has to survive through starvation,animal attacks, and diseases. The setting takes place in South Africa. A long walk to water reminds me of another book called "Earthquake Terror"by: Peg Kehret because Jonathan (12 year old boy in Earthquake Terror) is lost and has to survive through the pain. On pg. 7, "While I heard gunshots and screaming  outside, the teacher yelled "everyone run to the bush, don't run home!". One question I asked was "Why run to the bush when you can run to a safer place." My answer was "Because there will might be people with guns around Salva's home". On pg. 22 "As I walked with tears in my eyes, a young lady came towards me and filled my hand wtih raw peanuts and asked "Where is your family? Are you an orphan?". My eyeslids was stiff and I ran away . When I read this passage ,the mood was upset/sad. I would reccomend this book to people who love Linda Sue Park and sad stories.

1 comment:

  1. You've written a strong reflection of your book. It would have been nice to hear a little more about how the seeting was created through evidence from the story. You used strong sentence fluency. It was impressive the way you were able to quote specific pages from the book to support your opnion. This was solid work Jacqueline. I am pleased to see how hard you are trying at the moment.

    ReplyDelete